Offshore Platform Security
Oil and gas rigs constitute a preferred target for terrorist and criminal activity because of their economic importance and the difficulty to secure large water areas and open areas on land. Offshore rigs require maximum security due to their volatile and demanding environments. Protecting them from threats and ensuring safe operation are equally important.
Challenges specific to Gas and Oil Rigs include:
- Miles of open water to secure
- Exposure to harsh conditions: sea and fog
- Imperative to have a passive, undetectable system
- Detection and tracking of every boat undetectable by radars
- Detection and tracking of approaching swimmers
- Detection of small boats in rough seas
- 365 days, 24/7 day and night capability
- Remote observation
The Spynel panoramic infrared security system are ideal solutions for gas and oil rigsâ security and surveillance needs. The system uses a continuously rotating head to produce 360 degree images and detect and track intrusions in real time: essentially the Spynel cameras operate like âradars with eyes.â In addition, the Spynel mid or long wave infrared sensors allow detection of a small boat, even a wooden boat, up to the horizon in total darkness and adverse weather including fog and rain.